Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Paton's SWS (Soy Wool Stripes)

I stopped at Michael's on my way home from work yesterday to pick up some Patons SWS. I'd heard about it here and there, and seen some pictures, but I was really curious to see what it was actually like in real life. I got three skeins in "Natural Earth" and three in "Natural Blue".

I cast on last night for a Multidirectional Diagonal Scarf in the Natural Earth colorway - I kind of like the earthy colors, but it's starting to look a little rainbowy for my tastes. I think I would have preferred something with less hues... but I need a good scarf anyway, so this will do. Despite feeling kind of ambivalent about the colors, I do like the effect the stripes are making so far!

IMG_2530

It's nice-looking enough, and the texture is OK, but I think it's a little scratchy for my tastes, especially if I'm going to wear it against my neck. Otherwise it is very much like a silk blend. I hear that it softens up with a few washings, so I'll have to see how that goes.

The yarn itself is rather splitty - moreso than other single-ply yarns I've worked with. I can't tell if it's because it's more loosely spun, or because the fibers are just different in some weird way. It's only 30% soy, but there is a definite silky sheen, and it makes the fibers seem kind of... I don't know... stringy? Something like that. I mean, it took a little getting used to, but don't get me wrong, it is workable, especially with a nice sharp set of needles. I'm using US 9s, which is the recommended size from the label. It's a good, solid fabric, and it has a heavy drape similar to a silk blend.

I'll keep plugging away at this scarf and see how it wears after washing or two...

What I don't understand is... WHY soy? The label says "Soy Wool Stripes - The Natural Choice"... but it is 70% wool, and isn't wool natural too? I know there are vegans who might like soy fibers, but there's no way they'd be interested in SWS because of the wool content! It's not a natural alternative to silk, either, because silk is natural too. I haven't heard anything about the price of wool going up and having to be "cut" with other fibers like this, so what's the point? I just don't get it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Guinifer said...

The scarf doesn't LOOK itchy. I haven't fondled this yarn yet - I'll have to check it out.

8:40 AM CST  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home