Fetching Fingerless Gloves - a lesson in the risks of using leftovers
Oops, I did it again. Another unplanned project. But this was a quick one, so it's ok. My crappy bouclé wristies are looking kind of ratty lately, so I thought I should make another set of "Fetching" gloves for myself since I gave the acrylic ones to Inga. I had (I thought) a pretty good amount of leftover Wool of the Andes from Jon's last hat, and I kind of hoped it would be enough for a full pair. It would have been, if I hadn't used it for the design in the hat first.
I got the first one started and finished last night, and it is lovely. MUCH nicer than the acrylic ones - I was actually surprised at the difference! The stitches just came out so much nicer, and it's just so much easier to knit with something springy like wool.

I tried to take a picture of it on my right hand, which was really hard to do without shaking the camera, but here's what I got:

So I started the second one, also last night, and this morning I stopped to take a picture after doing 9 of the 18 rows of K4 P1 ribbing after the wrist cables and before the thumb. This is how much yarn I had left:

Not looking too good. I still had to do 9 more rows of ribbing, plus 4 more and a cable row, plus 4 more rows of ribbing AND a picot bind-off (yes, I ended up keeping the picot after all. It came out way better in this pair and I don't dislike it nearly as much as I did in the previous pair.)
If necessary, I was prepared to finish this one off with the bit of WOTA I had in "Wheat" color:

(There's not much of that left, either, but I knew I wouldn't need much to finish this glove off.)
Sure enough...

At least it actually looks kind of neat... I almost thought about ripping out part of the first one and re-working them both with a little Wheat-colored trim, just to make them symmetrical, but I'm really not that picky. They're not for fashion as much as function. I need something to keep my hands warm in my cold, cold office, while still being able to type.
So there they are.

If anyone asks, I'm just going to say I made that one different so I can tell which one goes on the Left hand.
And here's how much yarn was left after all was said and done:
I got the first one started and finished last night, and it is lovely. MUCH nicer than the acrylic ones - I was actually surprised at the difference! The stitches just came out so much nicer, and it's just so much easier to knit with something springy like wool.
I tried to take a picture of it on my right hand, which was really hard to do without shaking the camera, but here's what I got:
So I started the second one, also last night, and this morning I stopped to take a picture after doing 9 of the 18 rows of K4 P1 ribbing after the wrist cables and before the thumb. This is how much yarn I had left:
Not looking too good. I still had to do 9 more rows of ribbing, plus 4 more and a cable row, plus 4 more rows of ribbing AND a picot bind-off (yes, I ended up keeping the picot after all. It came out way better in this pair and I don't dislike it nearly as much as I did in the previous pair.)
If necessary, I was prepared to finish this one off with the bit of WOTA I had in "Wheat" color:
(There's not much of that left, either, but I knew I wouldn't need much to finish this glove off.)
Sure enough...
At least it actually looks kind of neat... I almost thought about ripping out part of the first one and re-working them both with a little Wheat-colored trim, just to make them symmetrical, but I'm really not that picky. They're not for fashion as much as function. I need something to keep my hands warm in my cold, cold office, while still being able to type.
So there they are.
If anyone asks, I'm just going to say I made that one different so I can tell which one goes on the Left hand.
And here's how much yarn was left after all was said and done:
| Knitpicks Wool of the Andes ("Winter Night" and a little "Wheat") | ||
| US6 DPNs (I think Susan Bates Silvalumes) | ||
| "Fetching" from the Summer 2006 issue of Knitty |
1 Comments:
That? Is pretty darn funny. Not to mention, cute.
I've been knitting those Fetching wristlets like crazy. I made two pairs for my little neighbor girls (10 and 8 years old) and found they were just a tad big. So I'm making two more pairs for my nieces and am adapting by taking out one of the knit 4 purl 1 repeats. It's turning out perfectly. (Plus, that means I'm going to have enough yarn to finish two pair out of one skein! One regular and one petite sized.)
Post a Comment
<< Home