Saturday, October 21, 2006

Fetching Fingerless Gloves - a lesson in the risks of using leftovers

Oops, I did it again. Another unplanned project. But this was a quick one, so it's ok. My crappy bouclé wristies are looking kind of ratty lately, so I thought I should make another set of "Fetching" gloves for myself since I gave the acrylic ones to Inga. I had (I thought) a pretty good amount of leftover Wool of the Andes from Jon's last hat, and I kind of hoped it would be enough for a full pair. It would have been, if I hadn't used it for the design in the hat first.

I got the first one started and finished last night, and it is lovely. MUCH nicer than the acrylic ones - I was actually surprised at the difference! The stitches just came out so much nicer, and it's just so much easier to knit with something springy like wool.

#1 finished


I tried to take a picture of it on my right hand, which was really hard to do without shaking the camera, but here's what I got:

#1 finished


So I started the second one, also last night, and this morning I stopped to take a picture after doing 9 of the 18 rows of K4 P1 ribbing after the wrist cables and before the thumb. This is how much yarn I had left:

#2 in progress

Not looking too good. I still had to do 9 more rows of ribbing, plus 4 more and a cable row, plus 4 more rows of ribbing AND a picot bind-off (yes, I ended up keeping the picot after all. It came out way better in this pair and I don't dislike it nearly as much as I did in the previous pair.)

If necessary, I was prepared to finish this one off with the bit of WOTA I had in "Wheat" color:
In progress
(There's not much of that left, either, but I knew I wouldn't need much to finish this glove off.)

Sure enough...
Oh well...

At least it actually looks kind of neat... I almost thought about ripping out part of the first one and re-working them both with a little Wheat-colored trim, just to make them symmetrical, but I'm really not that picky. They're not for fashion as much as function. I need something to keep my hands warm in my cold, cold office, while still being able to type.

So there they are.

Finished pair

If anyone asks, I'm just going to say I made that one different so I can tell which one goes on the Left hand.

And here's how much yarn was left after all was said and done: IMG_2259
yarn Knitpicks Wool of the Andes ("Winter Night" and a little "Wheat")
needles US6 DPNs (I think Susan Bates Silvalumes)
pattern"Fetching" from the Summer 2006 issue of Knitty

1 Comments:

Blogger Guinifer said...

That? Is pretty darn funny. Not to mention, cute.

I've been knitting those Fetching wristlets like crazy. I made two pairs for my little neighbor girls (10 and 8 years old) and found they were just a tad big. So I'm making two more pairs for my nieces and am adapting by taking out one of the knit 4 purl 1 repeats. It's turning out perfectly. (Plus, that means I'm going to have enough yarn to finish two pair out of one skein! One regular and one petite sized.)

2:10 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home