Monday, August 14, 2006

Brief Update

I finally - finally - turned the heel on the second Ocean sock. I felt like it was time to try learning something new again, so I decided to turn these short rows using the Japanese method as outlined by Nona. I had almost started to try the yarnover method, but I tried that on the first sock, got distracted in the middle of it, got mixed up, got frustrated, and decided to save it for another time. I just did the old wrap-and-turn short rows and they worked fine, as always. Still - complacency is no reason to stop learning new methods! Onward!

The Japanese short rows might be great for making darts in a sweater, or something like that, but I think the safety pins just got a little too crowded to make them very practical for turning heels. I had safety pins hanging all over the place, my DPNs sticking out every which way, my yarn to keep track of... it was fiddly-iddly-iddly!!! It did work, and I can see some benefits to it - it makes a nice clean short row, the gaps are closed up very nicely, and it's easy enough to execute - given enough space! I will keep it in mind for future use, but NOT on socks! I think the next socks I make with short-row heels, I'd like to re-visit the yarnover method and see how that works once and for all. It's good to know lots of ways to do things.

In other news, I found out last week (much to my chagrin) that it takes me a FULL HOUR to knit one-half of one percent on the Peacock Feathers Shawl - 0.6%, to be exact. At this rate, I could work on it two hours a day, every single day, and still be finishing it up in early December. So. *insert pouty face here* I guess this will not be a bridesmaid gift, but most likely a Christmas gift - which is fine. I think finishing this shawl in 5 or 6 months is perfectly acceptable, and I will be so happy when I can give it to K no matter when it happens. And I still have another bridesmaid's gift for her, anyway! ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home