Thursday, May 11, 2006

Reading about knitting vs. Knitting

I'm so disappointed in myself. :( I haven't been able to work on anything lately. At the end of the day, I find myself idly watching TV when I KNOW I could be knitting. And I have no idea why!

I think sometimes I almost get more joy out of just reading about knitting - techniques, patterns, yarn reviews - than doing the actual knitting. I used to think I was a "process knitter" because I love doing then knitting far more than I like having knitted things, but I'm starting to wonder if I might be some kind of "concept knitter" or something! Does that even count?

Even if it doesn't, it shouldn't be a problem. In the near future, I'm going to have to draft a schedule for myself again (yes, I've actually done this before - I'm a nerd), split it into half-hour blocks of time, and force myself to work the needles in there somewhere!

I find it weird and annoying that I find it so easy to NOT knit sometimes, considering how happy it makes me feel to actually be doing it. I guess it's like that poi class I took earlier this spring. It was always tough to get there and get started, but once we actually got spinning, I was always glad I'd forced myself to do it!

Hmm... I should really be spinning poi more often too... Gotta get practiced up for the summer!

1 Comments:

Blogger KnittingGuru Blog said...

Hi Amber,

Why not knit WHILE you watch TV?

If you pick something simple that you work on just while watching, you will be able to get back in the swing of knitting instead of imagining knitting.

I know lots of people with similar problems. For example, I've known people who took swatching so seriously that they JUST made swatches and never got around to knitting anything.

Another way to get productive again instead of cerebral is to start some really short projects. I talk about some of these on my website www.knittingguru.com and I hope you will take a look.

Anyway, I'm sure your conceptual time will pay off in some more nifty knits soon.

Veena

3:24 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home