Friday, February 03, 2006

Poodles just get better and better in my mind

I am going to have a poodle in my house again someday. I don't know when, but there is no disputing this fact. I lived with a poodle from age 4 to age 20, and would not trade those years for anything, not all the money in the world. Poodles are NOT dogs - just ask anyone who lives with one. They are something very special. A lot of us like to say "Poodles are people" - we know this isn't literally true, but in their hearts and ours, we know there is something special.

It has just occurred to me that since poodles have hair and not fur, and therefore need regular haircuts, and since they are curly and frizzy much like SHEEP... well... then some day when I have my poodle again, perhaps I should seriously consider keeping all the clippings to spin my own poodle yarn!

Don't scoff - there is hardly any difference between spinning the hairs of a sheep or goat, and spinning the hairs off a poodle! Think about it! And if you're still disgusted by the idea of wearing "dog hair," I suggest you get rid of every article of silk clothing you own immediately - before you figure out where THAT came from.

What this means is that I'm going to have to really brush up on my spinning. I've only done it a few times, a good 20 years ago when I was in elementary school! And all I remember now is spinning fiber against my leg - I think the lady who showed us how used a spindle though.

OR, better yet!! I just found out this week that a very good friend of mine loves to spin far more than knit - maybe I could beseech her to help me spin up some poodle yarn someday!

I'm probably thinking too far into the future. But it's a fun thought anyway! As the book Knitting With Dog Hair says, "Better A Sweater From A Dog You Know and Love Than From A Sheep You'll Never Meet" - haha!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home