Monday, January 30, 2006

Jon finally gets a hat!

Every time Jon sees me knitting, he complains and asks why he never sees me knitting a winter hat for HIM. I try to explain that I have 3 or 4 other projects going on, and he will have to just wait until I finish those first.

Then I started to feel bad. He's been asking for a hat for months, and I've actually started new projects since he's been asking. So I ordered some Wool of the Andes from KnitPicks JUST for JON. I got a deep purply-blue called "Hyacinth" and a color called "Wheat", which is kind of a golden brown.

The yarn came in the mail on Saturday afternoon, and I cast on right away! I don't know what I was thinking, because his head is 24" around, and I cast on 119 stitches at 5 sts/inch. Sure enough, the thing was all loose like a bucket hat when I finished it the following morning! It was too short, too. I was so worried about it being too big (which it was), but then I over-compensated in the other direction. That's ok, it was a quick project, so I ripped it out and started again. Here's what it looked like before I ripped:
Jon's Hat - Version 1

(And if anyone cares, I took a picture of it after I ripped out, too!: Jon's Hat after frogging Version 1

The second version is much prettier. It fits his head nice and snug, and I did what I think is a more attractive color pattern. However, I waited too long before starting my decreases at the top, and I did them too rapidly, so the hat is too long and the top is too lumpy for my taste!

I actually wove in all the ends before I found this out, so I might just have to let this one live as the big lumpy hat with the pretty pattern. I forgot to upload my FO pics, but here's one I took when it was almost done:
Jon's hat - Version 2 (WIP)

Firsts for me on this project:
• First knit hat (I have crocheted hats before)
• First time trying the Magic Loop method
• First time using stranded colorwork in a real project, not just a practice swatch (And I'm SUPER pleased that I actually did it by holding one color Continental, and the other color English! I've never been able to knit English style before!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home