Sunday, January 22, 2006

Planning for the future

I've just ordered the pattern for the Peacock Feathers Shawl from Fiddlesticks Knitting. (Psst, if you want to try this pattern, order it from Judy at The Knitter - she has it for $9.50 with FREE shipping. That's where I ordered mine from.)

It will be a while before I can even start on the pattern, but I have the exactly right amount of the exactly perfect yarn in what I think is going to be a gorgeous color for this shawl. I had bought some Jaggerspun Zephyr in Jade several months ago (from The Knitter, at a great price) because I wanted to do a particularly simple-looking poncho pattern that I'd found. At that time, I was still re-learning knitting and didn't want anything too complicated. I wanted something with very simple instructions that would still give me something wearable as a result. However, after I bought the yarn, I bought 4 circular needles on Ebay that were 29" long - and the pattern called for 24"... You just can't do that. Believe me, I tried. the circs were just too long to work effectively. So I stashed the Zephyr and decided to wait a while before starting the poncho, and gradually got distracted with other projects. It's a good thing, because I started realizing that I am capable of a LOT more than boring old stockinette! In fact, I find nothing more mind-numbingly boring than row after row after row of stockinette - and that's what the poncho would be. Bleh. I'd go insane before ever finishing that.

The thing is, knitting is a HOBBY - it's something I do for fun and enjoyment. If I choose to do a project for myself that I find horribly torturously boring, then that's just not a very good hobby! So the new fate of the Jade-colored Zephyr yarn is the Peacock Feathers Shawl. I expect I will take several months to finish it, but there's nothing wrong with having a larger ongoing project. I'll probably still keep picking up smaller projects and then overwhelming myself! ha ha...

But yeah, I'm just glad that I never got around to buying a US5 24" circ, because it saved me from boring stockinette, and it gave the Zephyr a second chance at a beautiful amazing life as peacock feathers. I am very excited. ^_^

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home