Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Peacock Feathers - A few thoughts about lifelines

OK, as I mentioned last time, I was a row away from being done with Chart 1 (OK, actually a pattern row and a WS purl row, but who's counting?). Well, I finished those rows up and re-ran my lifeline. I swear, lifelines are a perfect jinx if you think you are doing fine. As soon as I started Chart 1a, I felt like something was going to happen. (I didn't mention this before, but the first time I ran a lifeline, a few rows earlier, I dropped a stitch on the very next row and had to start over.) Sure enough, coming back on the WS row after running this latest lifeline, I was ONE stitch short in the first half! I counted three times and growled loudly so that Jon could share in my misery. He chuckled, "Does that grumbling mean you did it correctly?" Ha, ha.

I really liked how well the lifeline worked. I just ripped back to it and re-inserted my needle, following right along the white line, and knew that I was guaranteed to have every stitch on the needle and seated correctly. It definitely felt better than guesswork, or worse yet, ripping everything out in a fit of frustration and starting all over again.

I am using white waxed dental floss. It works great, doesn't split or break, and is very easy to see. Plus it moves smoothly without snagging when I go to pull it through.

It just seems strange to me that the only two times I've screwed up on this piece so far (since re-starting it) have been immediately after running a lifeline. I'm starting to feel a little bit like I might never screw up if I don't run any more lifelines... but that's just not a gamble I'm willing to take. Just one dropped stitch or one forgotten PSSO, and I don't know if I'd have the fortitude to go back and even attempt to fix things. When that happens I get so stressed out I forget to breathe, and then I get a little sick and that's just not fun. So yeah. I've decided to keep using my lifelines, even if they do make me screw up after I run them, because ultimately it's better to have them there as insurance than not have anything at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home