Saturday, September 13, 2008

Another couple stashbusters in the works

Yesterday was a good day - Baby is 5 months old now, and since he had a doctor's appointment to follow up on an ear infection we've been treating, I had a short day at work. I decided to just take him with me to the office to meet some of the folks there. He did great! It was a lot of fun for both of us, and I got plenty of work done, too. He's such a good baby :)

Then, after the doctor told us his ear was still infected and we'd have to start a stronger antibiotic (boo), I met up with a gal I met online through Freecycle, and I gave her a big paper grocery bag filled to the top with yarn that I didn't want anymore (yay)! It was almost all acrylic and novelty yarn, in full and partial skeins, plus 10 balls of Lion Brand Landscapes (50% wool / 50% acrylic) that I found intolerable to knit with. It just grossed me out every time I tried to do anything with it. I got it a LONG time ago at a rock-bottom clearance price, so this was no big loss to me, and I made a newer knitter VERY happy (yay!) :)

So that was my first big stashbusting activity of the weekend. The next was to start working on planning an altered version of this baby viking hat so that will fit Baby B. He's 5 months old, but he is the size of a 12-month-old, so the existing pattern is way too small for him. Instead of casting on 80 stitches like the pattern calls for, I think I'm going to have to cast on 104 stitches. (He's a big boy!) This means I'll just have to add a few extra "rivets" and alter the decreases at the crown a bit, so it's nothing too difficult. I'll get started on that hat as soon as I finish the hat I'm making to go with his Baby Surprise Jacket. (I can't do both hats at once because they will use the same set of DPNs.) I've actually finished the cap itself, and Jon thinks I should add some blue earflaps, so I'll probably do that too. Then I can start the Viking Hat!

The other stashbuster I think will be coming up soon is this beautiful hat using the Butterfly Stitch. I've been sitting on three balls of Patons SWS in Natural Blue for a while now, and had considered making another BSJ out of it, but I'm a little tired of that pattern right now. This hat looks neat, and I think it will work great with the long color changes in the SWS.

I still haven't finished that sleeve on Jon's sweater, but now that the weather is starting to cool down, I'll be more willing to work on it. I think I should only work on sweaters knit in one piece during the cooler months, because they get really big and hot, and I don't like knitting them while having them sit in a big bunch on my lap when it's warm out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home