Sunday, July 01, 2007

Baudelaire and my Knitting Husband

OK, first off, I finally re-started Baudelaire and made a little progress last night. The first time I started this sock, I was accidentally using US1 needles and my gauge was way off, so I had to start over with US2s (as per the actual pattern) and it's working out a lot better! I just took a picture this morning:
Baudelaire - WIP
I love the leafy pattern with my green yarn! It's Knitpicks Essential in "Grass"... And if I hadn't bought my yarn a few weeks ago, I would have waited and done these socks in their new Risata instead. Oh well, no biggie. Maybe I'll get some when/if it goes on sale sometime.

Also, Jon wanted to learn how to knit last week. But only with his own materials. Specifically, this weird cotton edging rope stuff from the fabric store, the rod from our hall closet, and another large dowel. I showed him the "mechanics" of how to knit using some worsted and US8s, and he knit a couple rows (fast learner!), and then we moved on to the "Man Knitting":
IMG_3018

Here it is on his lap for an idea of scale:
IMG_3020

He ultimately decided the "fabric" was too holey, and since it would be hard to knit this rope on smaller "needles", I pointed him to some online resources for other options, and after a brief attempt at crochet (too lumpy), he decided to learn Naalbinding instead. How cool is that!

He wants to make a cardigan out of that rope stuff, but I don't know if it's actually going to happen. The rope is not cheap, and it "sheds" cotton gunk all over. Still, I think it's neat that he experiments with stuff like this all the time, and I'm proud of him for learning new things.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tia said...

Only Jon! He should try knitting the rope lights from Ikea!

11:04 PM CDT  
Blogger Amber Joy said...

I told him your idea and he laughed and said he really liked it!

Will definitely keep you (and the blogosphere) posted if this ever actually happens! Hee hee hee!

9:28 AM CDT  
Blogger jason evans said...

That leaf pattern is cool. Very intricate.

2:45 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home