Friday, June 15, 2007

Sad little hiatus

I did finish the ridged cardigan for my best friend's baby due in December...

Cardi w/ buttons

and later that night she called to tell me that they had lost the pregnancy...

So now I have two little sweaters for no one.

Two little sweaters

The next day, at the doctor's office, they found out they had actually lost twins. I am glad that I was able to make two sweaters before this happened, or I might have felt even worse... if that's even possible.

So here are the stats for the second sweater:

yarn DK Kona Superwash Merino from eBay. I handpainted it with PAAS Easter Egg Dyes
needles US4 straights and DPNs, US6 circular and DPNs

pattern
 Top Down Raglan Baby Cardigan with Garter Ridges


I was too sick with sadness to knit for a while after this happened. All the next projects in my queue were baby clothes and blankets. I just couldn't do it... I finally decided that this would be a good time to get back to work on Peacock Feathers, since it is for the same friend who just suffered this tragedy. I have only done one RS row since digging it out of UFO land (aka the closet), but it is a start.

I've also decided to get myself started on a pair of socks to keep me occupied with some alternative and portable summer knitting. I do have some pretty sock yarns already, but I wanted to work with a clean and solid-colored yarn so that I could do something beautiful and not have to worry about my stitches battling a complex colorway to be seen. I ordered two skeins of Knitpicks' Essential in the grass-green color (I had yet to try this yarn and was curious - it is remarkably soft and nice for such a cheap price!), and I will be making the Baudelaire socks from last summer's Knitty, a pattern by the fabulous Cookie A. (Really, I don't think I've ever seen more lovely socks from any other designer.)

I'm not allowing comments on this post because I am still rather sensitive about the whole baby issue. Thank you for understanding.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home