Friday, May 25, 2007

PLEASE INSERT MAJOR SWEAR WORD OF YOUR CHOICE

I just found out that I did the whole upper body/shoulder area of the green and yellow baby cardigan WRONG, and I have to rip out the ENTIRE thing tonight. I increased the shoulder seams every fourth row, and I just found out NOW that I should have been doing them every other row. I want to die.

The only thing that makes me feel slightly OK about this is that I had a really bad feeling that it was looking wrong for a few days now, and even though I charged ahead, I was reluctant to start the sleeves. I kept looking at the pattern and counting 8 purl ridges for the height of the sleeves. Mine has like twice that many. I wondered if the picture in the pattern had purl ridges twice as often as the pattern instructed... No, that clearly wasn't the case. I wondered if the pattern was wrong and I should have only increased my shoulders to 21 or 24 stitches instead of 42... No, the pattern was not wrong, I probably was. I scoured the internet frantically, looking for notes, errata, anything that could help me figure out why my sweater was looking so much "roomier" and "deformed" than the cute little one in the pattern picture.

Finally, I found Vickilicious Knits. In this exact entry, I found my answer. I don't know Vicki, but right now I love her. She made the exact same mistake that I did in reading the pattern. We both mis-read this part:
Row 9 (RS): K5, *k to within 2 sts of marker, inc in next st, K 1, slip marker, inc in next st; rep from * to last 5 sts, k5 - 80 sts

Row 10 (WS): K5, p to last 5 sts, k5

Row 11: Rep Row 9 This is the part where we both ended up knitting straight across instead of REPEATING ROW 9 like the instructions clearly stated we should have done.

Row 12: K


Want to see what that particular mistake looks like?
Bad Cardi Sleeves

And for comparison, here's the picture from the pattern:
Picture from the pattern

I feel like I want to just lie down and DIE right now! I can't believe I was so careless and sloppy in reading the instructions. I can't believe I was crazy enough to think finishing the body would make the obviously-deformed shoulders look better! I could have saved so much wasted time if I had questioned myself and done my research sooner... or better yet, if I had just followed the exact instructions of the pattern! Arrrggghhh...

I've got nothing else to say. I just need to get through the day and then spend my Memorial Day weekend ripping and grumbling.

2 Comments:

Blogger V said...

Thank you for your comments - I laughed my head off in sympathy.

While I was knitting it, I totally kept thinking "If I just keep going, it will average out," with the same kind of fervor of the "If I'm running out of yarn, the faster I knit the less I'll use" logic. Isn't it funny how we can trick ourselves like that?

7:06 PM CDT  
Blogger crochetqueen1127 said...

Hey Amber, I used to work with your dad at the Midweek as the typesetter. I had to stop working because of rheumatoid arthritis and I started crocheting. I just wanted to say I, too, followed a pattern very closely and ended up with a sweater with sleeves down to my knees and a body that was big enough for Shaq. I thought, because you do it in pieces, once it was put together it would be okay. I was glad I used the cheap yarn instead of the expensive the pattern called for. When I showed it to my mom she almost fell of the couch laughing. Oh, well, I redid it and she wears it now proudly. Keep on knitting. You do wonderful work.

11:25 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home