Thursday, May 18, 2006

A few things I've learned recently...

When I finished my little circular gauge swatch for Soleil, I decided to try Elizabeth Zimmerman's sewn cast off (from Knitting Without Tears) for the first time. OH MY GOSH - This is easily the stretchiest bind-off method I have ever used. EVER. And it is super easy to do! I have been reading about it for a long time and even had it recommended to me when I did some toe-up socks, but I just never bothered trying it. Wow, was I ever missing out! It's a nice-looking one, too.

This week it also occurred to me that the Twisted German Cast On, while a little complicated and hard to get the hang of, would be perfect for cuff-down socks because it is so stretchy and very nice-looking.

Finally, I discovered that the three-needle bind-off, something which has scared me for some strange reason for far too long, is ridiculously easy, and I don't know why I was spending so much time ripping my hair out over the kitchener stitch, which I can never seem to do in a way that makes me happy.

Therefore:

My next project will probably be Jaywalkers. I had planned on doing a toe-up version because that's the only way I've ever done socks, but now I am feeling confident and want to do them top-down using the Twisted German cast-on and the three-needle bind-off. They will be my first cuff-down socks, and I guess I'll find out how I like that method soon enough!

YES!

5/19/06 - Edited to add: Oh yeah! Almost forgot - I tried the Russian Join for the first time when I started the second ball of yarn for Soleil, and I am once again kicking myself for not using this method sooner. It is AWESOME. Nuff said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home