Monday, February 06, 2006

Update on Fraternal Socks

I am super pleased with how the first of my fraternal socks is going! After a little more work, I took this picture:
Making progress

And then last night, when I was having trouble falling asleep, I got up and made some Chamomile tea and turned the heel! Here is a picture of the top side of the sock (the heel is on left):
Turned heel

And the bottom (heel is on the right):
Turned heel

I was planning on trying a heel flap and gussets, which I've found instructions for in the toe-up style, but when I tried those, I really didn't like how "lumpy" it felt where I had to pick up stitches on the sides to connect them. I ended up frogging back down to the foot, and just working short-row shaping for the heel.

I'm actually REALLY happy with my short rows this time around! They are nice and clean, and I decided to use a small crochet hook when picking up all those wrapped stitches. Worked like a charm! There is only one problem - I found a HUGE hole on the left side of the heel. I probably should have looked earlier so I could have picked up a couple stitches and closed it up at the source, but now I'm past it far enough that I really don't want to mess around with frogging back into short-row land just to try to close it up. I'd probably end up with all kinds of other lost/dropped stitches and wraps, and that's not the kind of hassle I think this one sock is really worth. My plan is to just go back and sew the hole shut as neatly as possible when I'm weaving in all my ends. I think it will work just fine.

Oh, one other thought about these socks. I think I'm going to do 1x1 ribbing all the way up the legs, and then do the last inch or so in the contrasting color (in this case, black). I think it's going to be really cute!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home